MCAS El Toro

A new(ish) sign on this hangar at MCAS El Toro reads, "WHY IS THIS OLD HANGAR STILL HERE? This hangar was built in 1944 for the original air batallion stationed here during World War II. Finding new purposes for old buildings at the Great Park helps commemorate the history of the Marine Corps Air Station El Toro."
.
What a strange question to ask! I guess they figured Southern Californians would be utterly flummoxed by the concept of historical preservation because examples are so few and far between. It's nice that at least some of the oldest structures on the base are being saved.
.
Below is a photo of remnants of El Toro buildings that weren't quite so lucky.

Sorry I've been a long time between posts lately. I lay the blame squarely on "circumstances beyond my control." I'll be back to a more normal posting routine as soon as I can -- Hopefully in the next few days or so.